funsec mailing list archives

[privacy] Senator Leahy Calls for Summit on Privacy

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 17:21:31 GMT

Via InfoWorld.

[snip]

Senator Patrick Leahy on Wednesday called for the U.S. Congress and President George Bush to convene a conference on
privacy, in the wake of recent reports that federal agencies spied on U.S. citizens and monitored protestors of the
Iraqi war.

Without a new direction from the government, the U.S. is in danger of turning into a "micro-monitoring" state, where
the everyday actions of normal citizens are routinely tracked, Leahy said at the Association for Computing Machinery's
Life, Liberty and Digital Rights conference in Washington, D.C.

"If this continues, it won't be long before we think of privacy as a quaint 20th century idea," said Leahy, a Vermont
Democrat. "Our government has no business spying on law-abiding citizens."

[snip]

More here:
http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/05/03/78035_hnprivacysummit_1.html

Also, another write-up over on 27B Stroke 6:
http://blog.wired.com/27BStroke6/index.blog?entry_id=1472166

- ferg

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net