funsec mailing list archives

Re: InfoSec Slammer :-)

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 22:35:58 -0400

On Tue, 02 May 2006 19:04:49 EDT, Dude VanWinkle said:
However whilst exhibiting at the show, security risk firm McAfee was
able to detect various networks connections that lacked any
encryption, so maybe things weren't as rosy as we first suspected.

Given the number of cleartext packets I've seen on the wireless net at
a SANS event, I'm not at all surprised.

Two or 3 years ago (when, admittedly, people were a bit less paranoid), we
had a SANS-EDU here.  300 people taking a class on wireless security.  So of
*course* I had to fire up a tcpdump for an hour or two.   And after the lunch
break, I grab the microphone, and announce "I've been watching traffic, and
of the 300 active IPs in this room, 55 have done POP-over-SSL checks on port
995, and 118 have checked on port 110".  As expected, 118 people go apeshit.
"What??!? You snarfed our passwords?"

At which point I say "Well, I guess we know who the 118 were..."  and they
go more apeshit.

Then I tell them "*MY* tcpdump was carefully crafted to only capture TCP SYN
packets. No passwords were captured".  And they relax.

Then the bombshell - I tell them "But just because I'm a well-known white hat
doesn't mean there aren't any black hats in the building snarfing up passwords.."

That's when they got *really quiet and worrried looking... ;)