funsec mailing list archives

Visa, Nokia Launch Phone Payment Project

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 13:50:47 GMT

Personally, I think this just might be a major security
snafu just waiting to be exploited. One thing for sure --
I won't be using it. In fact, I won't use any proximity
"tap-and-go" e-money devices, at least until security
issues are addressed in a major way.

Via Yahoo! News (AP).

[snip]

Visa International and Finnish cell phone maker Nokia Corp. jointly released the world's first credit card payment
pilot system in Malaysia, allowing consumers to shop and pay using their mobile phones.

The "Mobile Visa Wave Payment Pilot" project marks the first step in plans to turn mobile phones into electronic
wallets for consumers, officials said.

It builds on the Visa Wave smart card technology that uses radio frequencies to eliminate the need to swipe credit card
into a reader. Customers wave cards in front of the reader to make payments, similar to "touch and go" cards used in
transport systems.

[snip]

More:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060427/ap_on_hi_te/malaysia_visa_nokia

- ferg

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net