funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Think about breaking DMCA? Go Straight to jail!

From: Blanchard_Michael () emc com
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 13:53:32 -0400

 Child porn is the same way, possession is illegal (even if the naked person in the picture merely LOOKS underage and
you can't prove otherwise).  I remember hearing of one sting operation that the FBI did way back when.  They sent this
Child pornographer some childporn in the mail, when he opened up the package they stormed the house and arrested him.
Of course he was a bad-guy to begin with, but it could happen all the same.

   All we'd need is for a 'bot to start spreading DECSS if this thing becomes law and that would make everyone a
criminal.

  This Smith dude in Texas is just looking to be not re-elected.  Why in the world would he sponsor a bill that would
put more severe punishments on downloading a song than other much more heinous crimes?   Sure sounds to me like his
wallet is attached to the RIAA's/MPAA's, whatever's bank account.....
   Let's put drunk drivers that kill or mame people in jail, lets put murderers in jail for life, lets put honest to
goodness real bad guys in jail....  Lets not put a 17year old in jail because he downloaded the latest Stones song......

   I wonder how this would affect the Russian sites that sell MP3's for pennies per megabyte?  Although I've always
wondered if these sites are actually legal or not, even though they all say they are.

Michael P. Blanchard
Antivirus / Security Engineer, CISSP, GCIH, CCSA-NGX, MCSE
Office of Information Security & Risk Management
EMC ² Corporation
4400 Computer Dr.
Westboro, MA 01580