funsec mailing list archives

Re: Oracle May Launch Its Own Version of Linux?

From: "David Lodge" <dave () cirt net>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 20:16:51 +0200

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 17:13:59 +0200, Fergie <fergdawg () netzero net> wrote:
Given Oracle's horrible security track record, I wonder if
anyone would actually use it?

Oracle have been trying to get into the "total Oracle" solution for many years. About 6-7 years ago they where touting an Oracle only appliance, with a Unix flavoured kernel but everything else was handled by Oracle.

I'm not convinced; especially with the general quality of their code. Unfortunately it would make sense to managers who think that it's a way to only have DBAs and get rid of some of the SAs...

It'll keep us guys in a job at least: "No, that critical vulnerability in your web server, that allows anybody to alter all your data with no audit record, will have to wait 3 months until our quarterly release day before it can be patched"!

dave