funsec mailing list archives

Re: Pentium Computers Vulnerable to Attack?

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 00:29:36 -0600

On 4/12/06, Dude VanWinkle <dudevanwinkle () gmail com> wrote:
On 4/11/06, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:
On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 19:16:06 CDT, Matthew Murphy said:

of physical memory.  The attack is sophisticated, rare and non-trivial,
but the idea is that you can gain root privileges and then write to
/dev/xf86.

Get root, and then use that to get root. What's wrong with this picture? :)

As I said - unless he found a way to do it from user mode, it's not interesting.

Ja, it works on BSD and Linux, but not Windows. Apparently Xserver has
some nifty registers that windows is missing.

Still though, it sounds pretty bad because if you do use this exploit
after compromising a system, couldnt you could remain there even after
a re-image?

Err nevermind about that last question, I guess SMM is still part of
the OS, sorry for the brainfart all