funsec mailing list archives

[privacy] Follow-up: VA Barred From Publicizing Offer to Vets

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 14:54:13 GMT

Just as a follow-up -- I recieved my notification letter last week
from the Dept. of Veterans Affairs. :-/

Via The Boston Globe (AP).

[snip]

A federal judge temporarily has barred the government from publicizing
its free credit monitoring offer to veterans whose personal data was
stolen and wants to see if they might get a better federal offer.

Lawyers who have filed a class-action lawsuit on behalf of the 26.5
million veterans and active-duty troops affected contend that accepting
the government's offer could jeopardize their chance of winning more
money in the privacy suit.

U.S. District Judge William Bertelsman in Kentucky scheduled a hearing
this Friday to determine whether the Veterans Affairs Department should
revise its offer. His order on the credit monitoring was issued late
last Friday.

The suit seeks free monitoring and other credit protection for an
indefinite period as well as $1,000 in damages for each person -- or up
to $26.5 billion total -- in what has become one of the nation's
largest information security breaches.

[snip]

More here:
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2006/06/25/va_barred_from_advertising_offer_to_vets/

- ferg

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net