funsec mailing list archives

Re: Vishing (voice/phone phishing) - public incident

From: "Dr. Neal Krawetz" <hf () hackerfactor com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 12:02:48 -0600 (MDT)

I've received similar automated phone calls over the last month.
(An unsolicited phone call, not a spam email.)

Each time the automated system says that there was a problem with my
account approval.
Press 1 to re-submit my account credentials.
Press 2 to review my account information.
Press 3 to request more information about my account.

The big problems:
  - No caller ID.
  - No identification (they do not even pretend to be a bank).
  - No mention of who they are calling.
  - No option to talk to a human.
  - In the first call, there was one pregnant pause during a word in
    option #3 -- likely VoIP.
  - (Forget the fact that they are in violation of the No-Call law...)
  - Oh, and I haven't tried to setup any accounts. (Duh!)

A few coworkers have received similar calls.  They're probably calling
everyone in the area code (or region).

The voice quality was better than the Websense WAV file.  (Likely a
different automated system.)  It reminded me more of the T-Mobile
automated woman -- even had the slight southern accent.

I've got my phone set to record it next time.  It's phun!.

                                        -Neal
--
Neal Krawetz, Ph.D.
Hacker Factor Solutions