funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Police to Get Access to Student Data

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 13:21:56 -0400

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 15:36:23 EDT, Dude VanWinkle said:
On 6/20/06, Mary Landesman <mlande () bellsouth net> wrote:
This is pretty disturbing - especially since it affects *prospective*
students. If you apply and get accepted, even if you don't enroll, your data
gets sent over. It would be slightly more palatable if it impacted only
those students who (a) elected to enroll and (b) had been explicitly
informed of the intended disclosure.

Virginia: Apply at your own risk.

Yeah Valdis ;-)

Wasn't *my* idea.  In fact, one of the reasons that VT went the route of
becoming a "charter university" (i.e. a much more autonomous entity than
most state agencies) was because we don't trust the crew at VITA (Virginia
IT Agency) to understand IT.  We *finally* were able to stop sending
them payroll data every 2 weeks.  On tape.  The 10.5" reel-to-reel variety.

Within the past 6 months.

And VITA is the agency that all this data would probably be submitted to....