funsec mailing list archives

[privacy] Japan: KDDI Reports Massive Personal Data Leak

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 03:53:01 GMT

Via PhysOrg.com (AFP).

[snip]

KDDI Corp, Japan's number two mobile operator, said that private
information on nearly four million subscribers to its Internet service
had been leaked.

Police said extortionists tried to sell the data which included the
names, addresses, contact numbers, sex, birthdate and e-mail addresses
of those who applied for KDDI's Dion Internet service by December 18, 2003.

But information such as their passwords, bank account information and
communications logs has not released, the company said.

Tadashi Onodera, KDDI president and chairman, offered a public apology
at a press conference.

"We consider that this will hurt our company's credibility. We will do
our best to restore customers' trust by explaining the issue," Onodera
told reporters, although he said there were no plans for compensation.

Information seems to have been leaked by KDDI employees or a vendor who
had access to the system because it is impossible to access it from the
outside, Onodera said.

Police said they arrested two men who attempted extortion in the case,
reportedly demanding KDDI pay five million to 10 million yen (43,700 to
87,000 dollars) for the data.

[snip]

More:
http://www.physorg.com/news69434420.html

- ferg

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net