funsec mailing list archives

RE: Dr. Fun: NSA Tracking Devices

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 09:38:42 -0800

From:                   "Richard M. Smith" <rms () bsf-llc com>
Date sent:              Sat, 10 Jun 2006 22:12:45 -0400

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060610/tc_nm/telecoms_verizon_chaperone_dc_1

We've had it through Bell Mobility, in Canada.  I did a brief piece on it, which
prompted someone from Bell to call and give me more technical details.  It is
interesting: the display system is in the US, making it subject to tracking and
bugging under the PATRIOT act and other regs, but whereas US telcos would have
to refrain from reporting that LE was tracking someone (under PATRIOT), the
Bell system automatically alerts anyone who is being tracked.  (Presumably this
could be circumvented by Bell, but you would have to go through Canadian courts
to get them to do it.)

(Yes, I know, obviously yet another example of us Canucks being soft on
terrorists, by allowing Bell to sell US-based terrorists Bell cellphones, plus the
added "unlimited NA roaming" package, and corner the "terrorists who want to use
cellphones but also want to know when the DHS is tracking them" market.)

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
"Dictionary of Information Security" Syngress (forthcoming) 1597491152
                      Unix for stability.
                  Macintosh for productivity.
                    Windows for Solitaire.
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm