funsec mailing list archives

[privacy] Senate Won't Question Telecoms About NSA Spying

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 00:55:48 GMT

How very disappointing.

When Jack Cafferty said on CNN:

"We all hope nothing happens to Arlen Specter, the Republican
head of the Senate Judiciary Committee, cause he might be all
that stands between us and a full blown dictatorship in this
country. He's vowed to question these phone company executives
about volunteering to provide the government with my telephone
records, and yours, and tens of millions of other Americans."

[ref: http://fergdawg.blogspot.com/2006/05/quote-of-day-3-jack-cafferty.html]

Tonight on CNN (in response to the news below), Jack called
Specter "another Republicn worm" for going back on his word.

I couldn't agree more.

When Sen. Specter originally said that he would get to the bottom
of this issue, I thanked my lucky stars that there seemed to be
some integrity on Capitol Hill. Now, I'm sorely disappointed.

Anne Broache writes on C|Net News:

[snip]

A prominent Republican senator on Tuesday backed away from his pledge to question executives from telecommunications
companies that have allegedly been cooperating with the government's secret wiretapping program.

Arlen Specter said that after discussions with the Bush administration and Senate Intelligence Committee colleagues who
had been more fully briefed on the National Security Agency program, he was "prepared to defer on a temporary basis"
requiring representatives from AT&T, Verizon Communications and BellSouth to testify before the Senate Judiciary
Committee, which he leads.

[snip]

A sad state of affairs.

More here:
http://news.com.com/2100-1028_3-6080646.html

Disgusted,

- ferg

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net