funsec mailing list archives

Re: Thinking out loud: On the value of honeynets, trojans, bo tnets, etc.

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 01:07:30 -0700

Fergie wrote:
I'm interested to know why you think that a honeynet is any more
"intuitive" in trending and forecasting attack vectors than a, say,
liberally administered IDS?

Well, that's easy. I haven't seen the IDS yet that does a good job of detecting unknown attacks. However, a honeypot can be vulnerable to 100% of the attacks against that platform. The only trick is knowing when you've been compromised.

                                        BB