funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] BellSouth: We Didn't Turn Over Phone Records

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 00:25:33 -0400

On Tue, 16 May 2006 22:21:20 CDT, StyleWar said:
What specific evidence would you point to that Bellsouth and Verizon and
Qwest and AT&T are LESS credible than a USAtoday writer with specific motive
to write a sensational story?

What's interesting is that Quest came right out and said "We told them to come
back with a court order like the law requires" - and then (of course) don't
say if they then complied with a subsequent NSL.

The other three are refusing to come out and say "The NSA got no data from
us with our permission".  They say stuff like "We didn't give them the
database" (but leave open whether the NSA got a pipe to slurp the data
themselves), or "There was no contract" (but leave open whether there was
some agreement that wasn't a written contract).

They sound suspiciously like somebody who's trying to issue a denial
without telling another untruth that might come back to haunt them even
worse...

Tell me - if a local leader was accused of giving an organized crime figure
a large sum of money, and they said "I didn't personally give the mobster
the money", but it was known that the money was in a room, and the leader
had given the mobster a key to the room... what would *you* conclude?

Now cross out "local leader" and write in "telco", cross out "money" and
write in "database", and cross out "mobster" and write in "NSA".  Reads
a lot like what most of the telcos are saying, doesn't it?