funsec mailing list archives

Re: NASA Spacecraft Crashes Into Satellite

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 15:17:38 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 16 May 2006, Fergie wrote:

[snip]

A robotic NASA spacecraft designed to rendezvous with an orbiting
satellite instead crashed into its target, according to a summary of the
investigation released Monday.

Investigators blamed the collision on faulty navigational data that
caused the DART spacecraft to believe that it was backing away from its
target when it was actually bearing down on it.

"The inaccurate perception of its distance and speed … prevented DART
from taking effective action to avoid a collision," the summary said.

I get exactly the same when I'm alcohol-fuelled.