funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Newsweek Poll: Americans Wary of NSA Spying

From: "Young, Keith" <Keith.Young () montgomerycountymd gov>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 17:22:48 -0400

From Fergie:

"According to the latest NEWSWEEK poll, 53 percent of Americans think the NSA’s surveillance program “goes too far in
invading people’s privacy,” while 41 percent see it as a necessary tool to combat terrorism."

"A May 11 ABC-Washington Post poll found 63 percent of Americans said the collection of telephone records is justified
and 35 percent called it unjustified. The poll of 502 adults has an error margin of 4.5 percentage points."

Is it me or either:
1) Polls are very inaccurate.
2) We (Americans) don't know what privacies that we are willing to surrender.

--Keith
Keith Young, Security Official
Department of Technology Services
Montgomery County, Maryland