funsec mailing list archives

Re: UK: Chip and PIN Fraud Hits Lloyds TSB

From: "David Lodge" <dave () cirt net>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 21:50:48 +0200

On Thu, 11 May 2006 20:09:53 +0200, <Blanchard_Michael () emc com> wrote:
so a "chip and PIN" card/token/whatever has BOTH the account number and the PIN to access it built in? That doesn't sound safe to me at all. I'll bet it's RFID like the shell\Mobil tokens too....

Not quite. The chip holds the normal credit card details (same as are on the magnetic stripe on the back, i.e. CCN, expiry date, name). The PIN is used as a key to unlock the chip.