funsec mailing list archives

Re: Dogs trained to sniff out fake DVDs

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 21:32:40 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 8 May 2006, Predrag Ivanovic wrote:

From CDFreaks.com[1]
----
The entertaiment industry has a new weapon against movie pirates. Two English dogs
called Lucky and Flo have become the first dogs that are used to find counterfeit DVD's.
The dogs have been taught to identify DVDs that might be located in boxes, envelopes
or other packaging, as well as discs concealed amongst other goods. Their first test was pretty succesful.

For their first major live test, Lucky and Flo were put to work at FedEx's UK hub
at Stansted Airport in Essex where they immediately identified packages and parcels containing DVDs for destinations
in the UK.
Fact director general Raymond Leinster said: "This is the first time dogs have been used
anywhere in the world to search for counterfeit DVDs and the results were amazing.
With the co-operation and assistance of FedEx and Customs we were able to properly
test the dogs in a live situation and prove that they can work in a busy working environment."

Till now we've already seen dogs that can find explosive and drugs, does this mean that the authorities
see counterfeit DVDs as the same threat? The costs of training such a dog and the fact that they are now
not available for finding drugs and explosive makes one wonder...
----

I'll start spraying my pirated DVDs with aniseed.

Actually, this one fails to pass my Bayesian credibility test. For a
start, if I send a DVD of my holiday home-movies, how will they sniff out
that this isn't actually a breach of someone else's copyright? I mean,
I can believe that dogs can smell heroin, but what does copyright-breach
smell like?