funsec mailing list archives

Re: Security through Obscurity anyone?

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 20:21:49 -0400

Yeah, kinda reminds me of this:

http://linuxbox.org/pipermail/funsec/2006-May/006772.html

Guess I just suk.... to much scholck to goodies ratio?

On 5/5/06, Young, Keith <Keith.Young () montgomerycountymd gov> wrote:

> As modern cars are increasingly protected by
> software, car thieves are exploring a new vector
> of attack - laptop computers.  Some cars no
> longer require a key to start.  Software programs
> can be used to gain access to cars' computers,
> open doors and start engines.  The information
> is supposed to remain in the hands of locksmiths
> and car manufacturers, but persistent thieves
> will find a way to obtain what they seek.

How is this different than some older cars that only had a limited number of keys (such as the VW Bug that had only 13
or the certain American car which was *designed* to be easily opened by police/thieves)?

Just because people are now using technology to expoit vulnerabilities does not mean that the vulnerabilities never
existed...

--Keith

Keith Young, Security Official
Department of Technology Services