funsec mailing list archives

Re: Mac Security

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 09:25:57 -0800

Todd Towles wrote:

Note - I am not a mac user.

I only read the follow-up article, the one you link here. I'm sorta a Mac user recently, I've been using OS 10.4 as a daily laptop for a couple of months now. Not loving it, mostly for functional reasons.

A few things I like to point out about the topics of malware on non-windows. OS X in this case, Linux to a lesser degree:

-There have been Mac viruses around for many years, what is the reporter smoking? -Using anything besides Windows at this point will keep you from being vulnerable to a large volume of attempts. Something approaching 95% of the attacks in the wild are aimed at Windows boxes. -From what I've seen of OS X vulnerability research, I'm seeing a lot of the kinds of bugs that other unixes were suffering from 5-10 years ago. I.e. Apple has some lessons to learn the hard way, still.
-There are always lots of local priv escalation vulns to be had
-But malware doesn't need to be root to spread

                                                        BB