funsec mailing list archives

RE: Greed, stupidity, arrogance, and small genitalia.... (a c orporate study on the bells)

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 20:38:08 GMT

Sounds like a fruitful anti-competitive lawsuit to me, but
then again, IANAL.  :-)

- ferg

-- Josh Daymont <jdaymont () secureworks net> wrote:

It isn't that simple here in the southeastern US.  BellSouth controls nearly
all the DSL lines in its territory, especially here in Georgia.  This
includes anything that is purchased from a so-called third party provider.
The third party basically do the network management/ip assignments and
manage the links to the backbone but Bellsouth runs everything related to
the home office link by law.  The alternative is to get a cablemodem, but if
they were to follow suite then the only option left would be a leased line,
which is too expensive for most SOHO users.  I can't speak for other areas
of the US; but here dealing with Bellsouth on DSL issues (I used a third
party provider called speedfactory) is a nightmare.  My DSL card constantly
has technical trouble for no apparent reason and the only thing my provider
can do is call bellsouth and ask them to look into it.  As you can imagine
turnaround times are measured in weeks.

Pay for less than best effort?  I hate to say it but I often feel like I'm
paying for "no effort" from my ISP's network provider.

So to address your statement about not caring about alienating their
residential customer base:  why would they start caring now?  This has been
the strategy they've successfully pursued for over a decade now.

[snip]

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net