funsec mailing list archives

Re: covert crawlers: I wonder how "nobody" came up with thisbefore?

From: Dude VanWinkle <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 08:34:39 -0500

On 1/15/06, Gary Funck <gary () intrepid com> wrote:
  The Senate website relies extensively
  on server logs for forensics, but Ball is no longer confident that
  approach will be helpful in the long run.

Would automated approaches such as connection throttling work better
for fending off "spider attacks", than manual inspection of logs?
The only requirement for forensics that I can think of, would be
to analyze a hack or compromise of some sort.

Or an even better question: How does reviewing a log prevent anything?
Seems to me its too late at that point. I think they just use them for
finding out who's servers to confiscate after a breach, but now with
the (re)advent of this (old)new technology, they will just have to nab
all our servers... to be on the safe side(or the terrorists win).

It seems kinda far fetched to think that someone who was gonna attack
the NSA, CIA, etc would crawl their site from a "legitimate" IP
(legitimate being one in which you could trace it back to the actual
person doing the cracking). I guess stranger things have happened, and
their are stupid criminals out there, but I dont think this a big
forensic loss.

-JP
"Correct me if I am wrong."
-General B. Arnold