funsec mailing list archives

FW: [Full-disclosure] WMF ..... Is it possible to do a "ForensicsAnalysis" before 27th Dec

From: "Todd Towles" <toddtowles () brookshires com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 10:46:44 -0600

 This is funny just because....

-----Original Message-----
From: full-disclosure-bounces () lists grok org uk
[mailto:full-disclosure-bounces () lists grok org uk] On Behalf
Of Pejman GOHARI
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2006 10:43 AM
To: Full-Disclosure () lists grok org uk
Subject: [Full-disclosure] WMF ..... Is it possible to do a
"ForensicsAnalysis" before 27th Dec

Hi,

One more mail about WMf, but ... My objective is to do a
"Forensics Analysis" about this event (WMF Threat) and
understand what exactly happened. Because something sounds
strange ... for me! (And maybe only for me ;-) )

27th dec: A guy published just a mail to Bugtraq... to show his
exploit.
In reality it was more than a friendly demonstration: it was
a very sophisticated malware, with a malicious bot deployment...

So first question: How long have the black hats used this
exploit to deploy their bot ,spyware, keylogger...? Maybe the
vulnerability has been wildly used, long before it was
finally released...

After 27th dec, all the Security Experts, Certs, AV company
sent an "Emergency" alert (and they did there job very well).
Just after ... an unofficial patch was proposed (helpful) and
Microsoft announced an Official patch for the Patchday of the
10th Jan!!!

Surprise.... The 5th jan: Microsoft published before the
Patchday an Emergency patch. (NEVER had they done that in the past)

So comes a second question ... Why? Why The BIG Microsoft
changes its process of Patchday? I can't imagine that
Microsoft change its process of Patchday just for you and me
... and for our PC at home! The Patchday is a Process for
Professionals (Company)...  So why this Emergency?
When the Patch is released, we haven't seen a large scale
attack (though numerous, the 300 of Websites exploiting
variant of WMF exploit have all a limited scale and are
detected by the major AV at
time)

Proposal 1: The exploit was used a long time before the 27th!
And no body detected it before! So the alert comes too late?
Did anybody do a Forensics (with all the systems, network
logs) to detect if any attack has used at the past)?
We can imagine the Scenario of a black hat who used this
vuln. to deploy his bots and ... now he would like to prevent
other bad guys from doing the same and stealing some of his
zombie machines !?

--Now----
{ before 27th ... ? how many guy use this exploit ?}

Proposal 2: As someone said ... we just see the tip of
Iceberg...? But ... what do you see that I can't?

Other Proposal ... Welcome!

& If "stupido question" then > /dev/null

Regards,
Pejman                                                __o