funsec mailing list archives

Re: VMWare on IntelMac? [Was: Re: 2 critical vulns and the clock is ticking..[Fwd:[EEYEB-2000801]]

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 12:15:06 -0800

Fergie wrote:
Is that true, given their extensible firmware interface (EFI)?

 http://www.betanews.com/article/XP_Wont_Run_on_Intel_MacBook_iMac/1137003330

Is which part true?

If VMWare chooses to do a Mac x86 port, anything running inside the VMWare should be fine. VMWare "machines" appear to have a Phoenix BIOS. Or maybe VirtualPC, which already runs on the Mac, will rewrite it to take advantage of the x86 processor, and be able to use the real CPU. Right now, VirtualPC does full CPU emulation, since they ran on 68K and PowerPC CPUs in the past.

Nothing to stop you from doing BOCHS http://bochs.sourceforge.net/ right now, I assume. That was one way to run IDA Pro on OS X right now, it was just supposed to be dog slow.

Right now, my devs have all the x86 OS X boxes at the day job. As soon as QA (me) gets a couple of x86 Macs, I'll have some answers. :)

                                                BB