funsec mailing list archives

Ben Edelman: 180's Newest Deceptive Installation Practices

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 20:18:29 GMT

For anyone who is interested in the ins-and-outs of everything
adware & spyware, and doesn't kow who Ben Edelman is, well --
Ben is the man.

[snip]

I've previously covered a variety of misleading and/or nonconsensual installations by 180solutions. I've recorded
numerous installations through exploits -- without any user consent at all. I've found installations in
poorly-disclosed bundles -- for example, disclosing 180's inclusion, but only if users happen to scroll to page 16 of a
54-page license. I've even documented deceptive installations at kids sites, where 180 installs without showing or
mentioning a license agreement.

180 has cleaned up some of these practices, but the core deception remains. 180 still installs its software in
circumstances where reasonable users wouldn't expect to receive such software -- including web sites that substantially
cater to kids. And users still aren't fairly told what they're slated to receive. 180 says that it shows "advertising,"
but no on-screen text warns users that these ads appear in much-hated pop-ups. 180 systematically downplays the privacy
consequences of installing its software -- prominently telling users what the software won't do, but failing to
disclose what the software does track and transmit. All told, users may have to press a button before 180 installs on
their computer, but users can't reasonably be claimed to understand what they're purportedly accepting.

[snip]

More here:
http://www.benedelman.org/news/010906-1.html

- ferg

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net