funsec mailing list archives

Re: Get your computer viruses here!

From: C <chamuco () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 18:11:39 -0700

This issue has gone round and round for a long time now.  I think the best
we can say is that we disagree.  Our site is not to pollute the Internet
with more trash.  It's goal is to improve it by removing some of the elitism
that surrounds malware analysis.  We don't see the harm in putting this out
there.  We're just making the collaboration easier and more open.

Your lists sound wonderful, hopefully you would make your research available
to the outside world so everyone can benefit.  Science and experimentation
requires open interaction and verification of results.  I've been at the end
of an incident too many times where it would be good to find more
information about a specific piece of malware.  Right now the only options
are to pay thousands of dollars (where thousands is usually greater than
100) to some company for massively filtered drivel, or to talk with one of
the chosen few.  Both of those options are unacceptable to me, which has
given rise to our site.  I'm sorry you don't approve.  I can live without
your approval.

Let's focus on the real problem, which is the vulnerabilities that the
malware exploits.  Be it an unpatched flaw, or a clueless user the solution
lies in fixing the root of the problem.