funsec mailing list archives

Re: Who needs terrorists? We can cause terror all byourselves...

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 20:56:22 +1200

Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

Screw that. Bonus penalty points for Ferg for not noticing that the NYT
has *finally* found that memo that Blair took major heat for *months* ago.

The UK Guardian carried this sucker on *FEBRUARY 3*.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/frontpage/story/0,,1701214,00.html

And it was covered on BBC World (including a lengthy interview with a
former Foreign Office or diplomatic wonk or similar official, who was
reputedly also present, a few days after the allegations came out -- I
think in their HardTalk segment).  Sadly for thinking yanks (I know
there are still a few of you whose brains are not yet entirely rotted
by all the screw-ball food additives and GE) "BBC International" or
whatever it is you get on cable there as "BBC" is nothing like BBC
World, as seen pretty much everywhere except the UK (where, of course,
they get the "real" BBC).

And it was picked up by all manner of other non-US media outlets too,
like local TV (read the message headers if you think that means UK and
see if you are smarter than Kevin Mittnick -- not that thet means much)
and so on.

I was, frankly, dumbfounded, that this was apparently all "news" to the
self-styled "most powerful nation on earth"...

(More likely it was never before "newsworthy" as it was so patently
obvious that having it in some way "officially confirmed" added nothing
significant to our understanding of the level of corruption at the head
of US politics...)

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald