funsec mailing list archives

RE: Security Fears Prod Many Firms To Limit Staff Use ofWebServices

From: "D'Aloisio, Marc" <Marc.DAloisio () ct gov>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 10:35:25 -0500

IMHO, IM is definitely a threat.  I was involved in an incident a while
ago where a group of consultants working on a project was using public
IM to discuss sensitive details of the project, including passing
privileged credentials (userids and passwords).  We caught it monitoring
traffic with an IDS.  Needless to say, that practice stopped, but we
were told it was common practice within consulting firms to collaborate
using public IM as well as public email (Yahoo, gmail, etc.).  To me,
it's a risk to have unsecured sensitive communications going through
and/or stored on servers not managed by the data owner or covered by
NDA, SLA, or other agreement that covers confidentiality.

Marc D'Aloisio, CISSP
Network Security Analyst; Security Incident Response
State of Connecticut - Department of Information Technology