funsec mailing list archives

Re: Stolen laptops and the Windows encrypted file system?

From: Ron <iago () valhallalegends com>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 08:30:14 -0600

When using Encase (at least, version 5), you have to provide it with the user's password or the administrator password to decrypt EFS.

What Encase can do is pull the password files from Windows. The password files can then be loaded into Rainbow Tables or l0phtcrack or your favorite cracker).

To crack a NT5 password, the system key file is required. Normally, it's stored in the same folder as the password file. However, the system key file CAN be stored on a floppy or USB drive and removed when the computer/laptop is not in use. Then, I assume, nobody can log in and it is far more difficult to decrypt the files.

I'm sure if you looked it up, you could find information on doing that. But it's a lot of work. I've had to fight against Utimaco's harddrive encryptor before, and we couldn't find a way around it. It's just lucky that we managed to get Utimaco's password, or we never would have been able to work on the laptop.

Ron

Richard M. Smith wrote:
Another solution would be to allow people to store their EFS encryption keys on a separate device such as a USB flash drive. I also believe that an encrypted folder on a portable hard drive would be safe if it is carried separatly from a laptop which holds the EFS encryption keys. Richard