funsec mailing list archives

Re: Who needs terrorists? We can cause terror all byourselves...

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 13:09:10 -0500

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 11:32:01 CST, Brian Loe said:
When was the last formal declaration of war made? Has there been a
"war" since but previous to these? Was there a conspiracy involved
then too?

A number of people have in fact asserted that there were various
conspiracies regarding Vietnam.

The whole Tonkin Resolution thing, for instance, stinks to high heaven. ;)

For that matter, isn't there a 50 year old executive order providing
"emergency powers" to be used by the president for such things?

I wouldn't know - under your "only the ones who were there can ask"
philosophy, I'm not allowed to ask that one. ;)

Perhaps you'd do better and ask if WMDs were the only requirement we
had for going to war - as opposed to the only point of contention the
politicians can come up with....

I would, and in fact that's a much better question - "Are we fighting about
WMD or OIL"?

But it's unclear who in the US would have standing to ask that question
under your "If you aren't the one who..." guidelines.  So tell me - who
*is* allowed to ask that question?