funsec mailing list archives

Re: FBI: You've Got Mail -- NOT!

From: Ron <iago () valhallalegends com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 22:00:03 -0600

Haha, that reminds me of undercover cops in my city who, due to budget constraints, are not given cell phones. They're putting their lives on the line, and what do we do? Send them into a dangerous situation with a quarter for the payphone.

Fergie wrote:
This is, in my opinion, an outrageous situation if it is true.

Via CNN.

[snip]

Budget constraints are forcing some FBI agents to operate without e-mail accounts, according to the agency's top
official in New York.

"As ridiculous as this might sound, we have real money issues right now, and the government is reluctant to give all agents
and analysts dot-gov accounts," Mark Mershon said when asked about the gap at a New York Daily News editorial board meeting.

"We just don't have the money, and that is an endless stream of complaints that come from the field," he said.

FBI officials in Washington denied that cost-cutting was putting agents at a disadvantage.

[snip]

More:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/03/20/fbi.email.ap/index.html

- ferg

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net