funsec mailing list archives

Re: Oops: U.S. Department of Energy Lost Computer Equipm ent

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 15:06:30 -0500

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 14:40:50 EST, Blanchard_Michael () emc com said:
   I'm sorry, but laptops should not even be allowed in a government
location that contains confidential material.... Shouldn't be allowed within
1000 feet of the building either....

*REAL* security is about tradeoffs.

It's *easy* to design a fascist security system that is very secure, but
doesn't allow getting much work done.  On the other hand, some of us recognize
that for some applications, laptops allow productivity increases.

And in some cases, a laptop is actually *more* secure.  Where is the data safer,
on the laptop that I have physical control over, or back in my office(*) where
you have cleaning crews and all that?

(*) If the data is on a server, but the workstation in my office can access
the server, then as far as the cleaning crew with a Zip disk goes, the data *is*
in my office.....