funsec mailing list archives

Re: another VX site?

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 00:51:37 GMT

I'm really happy to see this:

[snip]

In the English language, the standard plural of virus is viruses.

[snip]

I have used this pluralization for 20 years. :-)

- ferg

-- "Oliver Schneider" <Borbarad () gmxpro net> wrote:

By the way, there's no such word as "viri", and people who refer to
"viri" put themselves firmly in a group that you possibly don't want to
be seen as being a member of.
Have you consulted your favorite Latin dictionary in this matter? The word
"viri" exists and has the (not too harmless) meaning: "men". But I agree in
one aspect: I wouldn't like to be seen as an Ancient Roman ;-P

Need proof? Let's ask one resource sometimes regarded as reliable and
sometimes not :-D ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plural_of_virus

Cheers,

Oliver

PS: Yes, the word "virus" stems from the Latin language, thus it is correct
to look it up in a Latin dictionary ;)

[snip]

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net