funsec mailing list archives

Re: Coolness: Virginia Tech's 24-Display Workstation

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 14:48:32 -0500

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 15:13:28 GMT, Fergie said:
Hey, Valdis -- why didn't you tell us about this? ;-)

*yawn* Old news around here. ;)

http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/13/virginia-techs-24-display-workstation/

http://infovis.cs.vt.edu/
http://infovis.cs.vt.edu/gigapixel/
http://infovis.cs.vt.edu/gigapixel/facility.html

Several years ago (1998 timeframe), I was the sysadmin for this beast:

http://www.cave.vt.edu/

4 walls, full 3-d, motion trackers so the POV was correct, the whole 9 yards. ;)

We had the hardware to do all 6 walls, but never deployed it.  Each wall ran at
1280x1024, 96fps stereo.  And it ran Quake and Quake II way back then. Big SGI
Onyx box, 8CPU, 8G memory, and 3 InfiniteReality graphics pipes.  Bad-ass
hardware to work with - a single pipe was 3 to 5 VME cards, about 20 inches or
so square.   Last I talked to the PI on that project, they were working on
moving to a tightly coupled cluster of Linux boxes using NVidia cards.

So a big 2-D wall doesn't impress me much. ;)