funsec mailing list archives

Re: standards status in the industry - opinion?

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 00:20:44 +0200

Matthew Murphy wrote:

Fifth, with that decided, the community is going to have to force
Microsoft's hand.  The way to persuade Microsoft to patch in a timely
fashion is to seriously undercut the the organizations you cite.  The
way to do that is to disclose vulnerabilities publicly when Microsoft
fails to patch them in a reasonable time (i.e. 3 months).  We're not

In other words, full disclosure.

I believe Microsoft actually is doing a far better job of working with researchers these days... but I suppose every researcher has to decide that for himself.

After seeing what one 0day in a CLIENT did, I think I like the outcome, but not as a trend.