funsec mailing list archives

Re: CME: A Total Failure -- Throw in the Towel

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 13:08:33 +1300

Fergie wrote:

It stinks. And has solved nothing.

What was it trying to "solve", Ferg?

Maybe it was simply less ambitious than you (and Bob Lemos and many
others) wished?  But maybe it is achieving pretty much that which it
was set up to do?

Hint:  Despite nearly every man, his dog and quite a few "senior" AV
folk who should have known better continually conflating it with
"solving the naming problem", CME was never intended to (directly)
address the naming problem, far less solve it.  It's _a response_ to
the confusion the naming problem creates, but it was never intended to
be an outright solution to that problem -- anyone who vaguely
understands the reason the naming problem exists should understand that
it would take extraordinary market forces to "solve" the naming problem
(it's actually far from as intractible as the AV industry would like
everyone to believe, BUT it will take a bit of money and a lot of
different-in-every-case re-engineering of internal-to-each-developer
processes to make it do-able, and as there is far from sufficient
incentive to do that thus far, very few AV companies are prepared to
make the move, and as the nature of the problem requires some
significant mass of adoption to actually make it work, that means no-
one will make the moves).

Maybe CME will become "more useful" as we "train" the media to seek out
the CME ID of "newsworthy" malware, rather than simply running with the
first name they are told (which now mostly depends on which AV vendor
they talk to first)?

Als: Robert Lemos article on SecrityFocus:

"Virus names likely a lost cause"
http://www.securityfocus.com/news/11380

Likely? I'd say 'already'. Opportunity to succeed on this has
long past.

Mainly, yes...

Much as I am generally highly critical of my industry's approach to
(incessantly avoiding) solving the naming problem, there are some
grievous errors in Lemos' article that show he has less no
understanding of "how things work" in this particular case.

And, much as I like Joe Wells, his hint of a suggestion that the AV
industry might be able to at least "fix" the naming of "just" the
(officially) "In the Wild" (aka "WildListed") malware is beyond
incomprehensible.  It's a nice ideal, but if he applied what he must
know about how his own industry works in this regard, he would realize
that to fix that problem, we would have to fix the _whole_ naming
problem, as "doing it right" for a such a _trifling_ subset of the vast
mass of stuff that the AV labs deal with is a bit like suggesting that
the one clueful lemming _can_ survive despite being in the middle of
the cliff-bound madding crowd...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald