funsec mailing list archives

Re: Why did Reuters call Kevin Mitnick a "Computer Terrorist"?

From: Kevin McAleavey <kevinmca () nsclean com>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 19:35:56 -0500

At 08:36 AM 3/8/06, Richard M. Smith wrote:
Unbelievable.....

Famed "computer terrorist" teaches anti-hacking
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060308/tc_nm/hacker_dc

By Rebecca Harrison (rebecca.harrison () reuters com) 1 hour, 10 minutes ago

 Rupert Murdoch is a majority stockholder in Reuters, so there's your explanation - "fair and balanced." But even more
interesting is Reuters' official policy on the "T-word" ...

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Taranto>James Taranto, a columnist for the
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_Street_Journal>Wall Street Journal, wrote in
<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Opinionjournal.com&action=edit>opinionjournal.com on
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_21>September 21,
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001>2001:<http://www.opinionjournal.com/best/?id=95001205#reuter>[4]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Stephen_Jukes&action=edit>Stephen Jukes, global news editor for Reuters, the
British wire service, has ordered his scribes not to use the word <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terror>terror to refer
to the <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_11%2C_2001_attacks>Sept. 11 atrocity, the
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Post>Washington Post's <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Kurtz>Howard Kurtz
reports: <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A14272-2001Sep23.html>[5]
"We all know that one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter and that Reuters upholds the principle that we
do not use the word terrorist," Jukes writes in an internal memo. "To be frank, it adds little to call the attack on
the World Trade Center a terrorist attack."
Jukes tells Kurtz: "We're trying to treat everyone on a level playing field."

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Solomon>Norman Solomon, executive director for the
<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Institute_for_Public_Accuracy&action=edit>Institute for Public Accuracy and
a U.S. columnist, has been quoted as saying that there was nothing wrong with describing the September 11 attacks as
terrorism if journalists were willing to use the word "with integrity across the board" - including when it applied to
the foreign policy of their own country. Otherwise, he said, "the Reuters policy is the only principled journalistic
alternative." <http://www.cbc.ca/news/indepth/words/terrorists.html>[6]

Hmmmm.