funsec mailing list archives

Re: 1 March 1990: U.S. Secret Service Raids Austin's Steve Jackson Ga mes

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 03:24:59 GMT

For what its worth, I wanted to send along this message from
Jon Lebkowsy, who was quite involved in the creation of the EFF,
and co-founded the Austin-EFF. He's a big shot around these parts. :-)

- ferg

p.s. BTW, this URk is very much worth reading, if you are truly
curious of the creation forces around the EFF:

 http://www.weblogsky.com/technopolitics.htm

Also, some of these folks will be here in Austin for SXSW... including
Steve Jackson.

[snip]

-- Jon Lebkowsky <jonl () polycot com> wrote:

Yeah, tempus fugit! Or "time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like bananas."

I wrote an EFF history for the now-defunct Australian slick 21C: http://www.weblogsky.com/technopolitics.htm

~ Jon

Fergie wrote:

Well, I figured it was worth mentioning. :-)

It is part of our history now, and one worth remembering.

- ferg

ps. 16 years has gone by damned fast, huh? ;-)

-- Jon Lebkowsky <jonl () polycot com> wrote:

You're right, it wasn't part of Operation Sundevil, which was Gail
Thackeray's operation. She was in Arizona; the SJ Games raid was
conducted Secret Service's Chicago unit and Chicago prosecutor Bill
Cook, who was basically chasing the trail of a Bell South document
purloined by Len Rose and published on Phrack, a copy of which was sent
to Loyd Blankenship, and SJ Games employee.

Fergie was also slightly incorrect in saying that the Steve Jackson case
resulted in the formation of the EFF.  EFF formation was already in
process when the raid occurred, and was driven in part by a conversation
with hackers on the WELL that John Barlow helped organize, a
transcription of which was published in Harper's. Barlow had a visit
from the FBI afterward, and realized that they didn't understand
technology well enough to make informed decisions about "computer
crime."  He and Mitch Kapor talked it over, and that led to the birth of
the EFF.  The Jackson case was just fortuitous in that it happened as
this was going on, and was the perfect foundation case for EFF.

A couple of months after EFF formed, Steve suggested a chapter in
Austin, which led to the formation of EFF-Austin.  We incorporated
separately, and EFF chose not to have chapters, so we just became our
own thing... a long story in itself.

~ Jon

kinnaman () Io Com wrote:

Although Wikipedia, and the media, say it
was part of "Operation Sun Devil," Steve
Jackson says otherwise:

http://www.sjgames.com/SS/topten.html

As I understand it, the little dial-up BBS
contained e-mail of BBS members, and by
taking the e-mail, the Secret Service did
naughty, and paid for it nicely, once the
judge was shown the law on the matter.

Other Myths

I always tell folks that the cash to start IO.COM
came from the Secret Service - even though I
have no idea if that's really what the Jackson
family did with the $$$ federal payment. <grin>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Sundevil

[snip]

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help () effaustin org

--
Jon Lebkowsky
Senior Consultant/Managing Partner/CEO, Polycot Consulting

"The truth you believe and cling to makes you unavailable to hear anything new."

~Pema Chodron

[snip]