funsec mailing list archives

Girl's Science Project May Make You Rethink That Drink Order

From: "Gary Funck" <gary () intrepid com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 21:22:31 -0800

Girl's Science Project May Make You Rethink That Drink Order

By MICHELE SAGER , The Tampa Tribune
Tampa Bay Online

TAMPA - Those ice-cold drinks from favorite fast food restaurants may not
seem as refreshing after a seventh-grader's science project reveals what may
lurk inside the cup.

Benito Middle School student Jasmine Roberts examined the amount of bacteria
in ice served at fast food restaurants.

Her project won the science fair at the New Tampa school, and she hopes to
win a top prize at the Hillsborough County Regional Science and Engineering
Fair, which starts Tuesday.

The 12-year-old compared the ice used in the drinks with the water from
toilet bowls in the same restaurants. Jasmine said she found the results
startling.

"I thought there might be a little bacteria in the ice, but I never expected
it to be this much," she said. "And I never thought the toilet water would
be cleaner."

Her discovery: Seventy percent of the time, the ice had more bacteria than
the toilet water.

[...]