funsec mailing list archives

RE: Administrator Accounts

From: "Todd Towles" <toddtowles () brookshires com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 14:15:32 -0600

Ryan wrote:
I like the way the Mac does it, makes you quite comfortable as a
  regular user, and prompt for the password when you need to
do something that takes privs.

You mean, the way Linux/UNIX does it? ;)

Microsoft has always suggested that average users run WITHOUT local
admin rights, but has done little in the application world to support
this position. It would seem that they are cleaning up a bit and giving
least priv a real run. Applications will have to be designed better out
of the box to support this position and I hope Microsoft doesn't back
down from it.

-Todd