funsec mailing list archives

Re: Can someone exlpain this to me?

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 15:27:10 -0600

--On February 18, 2006 4:04:27 PM -0500 Dude VanWinkle <dudevanwinkle () gmail com> wrote:

Its really interesting how you only responded to the parts of my email
that you can rationalize. This was the joke email, its predecessor is
the one in which I listed murderers of children and women.  I am
guessing this is a defence mechanism.

I find that when people make assumptions about other people, they are almost always wrong. I have no idea who the people are that you listed - thus no response to your post.

Now you may respond with "Peterson was not a zealot". Maybe not a
religious one, but for love of money, his zealotry was obscene.

I have no idea who "Peterson" is.

Now I could make assumptions as to what this says about your
character, what with focusing on cash and ignoring all human elements
or emotional ones, but I am trying to clean up my act :-).

You really should, because your assumptions are so off base as to be laughable.

I will
instead ask that, when debating someone, try and give a little leeway
in reading your opponents statements. Dont look at the "letter of the
law", trying to find one idea that you can use to shred your opponent
to bits, discarding the rest as "nothing you can work with". Rather
try to look at the "spirit of the law" or what I am actually writing
and trying to convey. In order to do this, you must read the _entire_
sentence before coming up with a way to refute it.

What you've written is bogus psychological bs fed by "experts" who have no idea what they're talking about. What I responded with was facts based upon scientific analysis of the problem. Suicide bombers are, in the majority of cases, not motivated by poorness (however you now want to redefine it) or by unhappiness (however you know want to refine that.) Those are facts. The rest is opinion.

You may have the last word. Feel free to speculate all you want about who I am or what I think.

*I* find it interesting that, rather than attack my response which attacked the *ideas* you mentioned, *you* felt it necessary to speculate about *my* motives and beliefs. It's frequently the chosen method of argumentation on the internet, but it remains completely unconvincing to me.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member