funsec mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft and free speech

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 14:03:41 +1300

rms () computerbytesman com wrote:

Yikes.  I wrote a benchmark program which measures the overhead of a
JavaScript program calling into a .NET class.  The numbers were extremely
small and I was quite impressed with how Microsoft was able to make COM and
.NET play together so well.  However, it now looks like I have to go to jail
since this testing may have violated the .NET license agreement because I
told other people how well .NET performs.

As I recall, the NY DA went after McAfee/Network Associates because of
a similar "gag cluase" against publishing comparative reviews involving
the McAfee AV products and McAfee lost (or settled out of court before
it finally made it to trial??).

I suspect that the "prohibition" you refer to is equally unforceable in
the real world, as opposed to the cloud cuckoo land inhabited by a
significant chunk of MS' corporate lawyer droids...

That said, such a prohibition _might_ be "reasonable" on beta or other
"pre-release" code where performance would specifically be expected NOT
to be at finally optimized for release, and it might not be entirely
unexpected of a vendor to try to protect itself from "possibly
misleading" performance stats based on tests with such code.

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald