funsec mailing list archives

Re: Postage Is Due for Companies Sending E-Mail

From: "Stephen J. Smoogen" <smooge () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 09:01:00 -0700

On 2/8/06, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:
On Tue, 7 Feb 2006, Ryan Counts wrote:

I can't wait to receive my first NDR due to insufficient postage...  I'm
a little curious about a few aspects of this :

Well, I don't know how they're doing it, but here's what I'd do:

Hmmmm, maybe they could file a class-action
against Microsoft for security holes...  As it is, right now the biggest
problem in filtering spam is verifying the source, so how does this help
that in any way?

It verifies who the source really is, and that this source has been
willing to pay for the email to be delivered.

Sadly.. I think what will happen is that
A) It will be designed by a committee
B) It will be outsourced to the lowest bidder to committee specs
C) The lowest bidder will be making up its funding by having Organized
Crime pay for its bank accounts and housing in a Caribbean island with
no extradition treaties.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
CSIRT/Linux System Administrator