funsec mailing list archives

Re: Gartner: IPsec Dead by 2008

From: Anton Chuvakin <anton () chuvakin org>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 11:33:00 -0500

Well. IPsec is a backport from IPv6, and the DoD is supposed to be
100% IPv6 by 2008, so I don't see where Gartner's going with that
statement.

IPsec implementations for IPv6 are scarce and lag behind their IPv4
counterparts.  Just because it's mandated by the standard doesn't mean
it's widely deployed.

I am also *really* curious whether their "ipsec is dead" equals "IPv6
is threatened/dead"? I hear various things about IPv6 upcoming
adoption from "any day now" to "in another 20 years" to "its not
needed anymore" There is no chance that IPv6 will be adapted to the
absence of IPSec, so maybe our Gartner "friends" meant that "IPSec in
IPv4" is dead?

And, I suspect, "Gartner is dead" just won't happen, for better or for
worse. I vaguely remember seeing some survey that claimed that
reliance on analyst firm for purchases grows with technology
complexity. The survey might be all bullshit, but this argument seems
valid to me; way too many orgs want somebody to do the legwork for
them...

Best,
--
Anton Chuvakin, Ph.D., GCIA, GCIH, GCFA     http://www.chuvakin.org