funsec mailing list archives

Re: Escapee from Redmond (was: Huh? Microsoft pre-release release: WMF patch?)

From: Kevin McAleavey <kevinmca () nsclean com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 01:17:21 -0500

 It was posted to DSL Reports earlier. We obtained a copy of it to see if it was actually malware - turned out to be
from Microsoft "for real" and contained "WindowsXP-KB912919-x86-ENU.exe" within a ZIP file. We fed it to a few lab rats
and it wanted to write to a strange new folder on a D: drive. So we ran it on a couple of lab rats that HAD a D: drive.

 Setup began, wham! BSOD that would have made NT 3.5 proud. "kernel-in-page" error and the world latched. Hard reboot
and the "you've been naughty" check of the D: drive every time.   :)

 I can see why they were a bit miffed at it escaping Redmond. Heh.