funsec mailing list archives

Re: guilty until proven innocent?

From: "Mary Landesman" <mlande () bellsouth net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 10:09:46 -0500

I'm a parent, so I come at this from two sides. And I grudgingly have to
admit that I don't know what else the schools are supposed to do. Most kids
(all the ones that hang out at our house, anyway) are fully aware the
schools' computers are monitored. I don't know why this particular kid did
not.

It's not a knee-jerk reaction to 9/11 either. It began in the late 90s
because of increasing violence in the schools. There are metal detectors,
cameras mounted everywhere, onsite security officers, etc. That ongoing and
pervasive surveillances was extended to computers when networks and labs
became the norm, particularly in high schools.

Some of it is designed to protect students. Some designed to protect the
teachers and staff. And some designed to ward off litigation.

It's a complex situation. I'm happy to discuss my views further and would
love to hear some others views on these issues, particularly if you have a
child in today's schools. But I am not sure it's an appropriate topic for
this list; it's certainly not fun anyway. :P

-- Mary