funsec mailing list archives

Re: UserFriendly.org: Truth in Acronyms

From: der Mouse <mouse () Rodents Montreal QC CA>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 23:06:26 -0500 (EST)

word formed from the initial letters of a series of words. (eg, IEEE
is an acronym for Institute of Electrical and Electronics
Engineers).
Oddly, the definition and example don't make sense together -- please
tell me how the fuck you pronounce the "word" IEEE --

Eye-triple-ee.  So?  Lots of words have even less obvious relation than
that between sound and spelling.

IEEE is an abbreviation (unless I'm entirely unaware that it is
normally pronounced "i-ee" or something, rather than "i-e-e-e" or
"i-triple-e").

I fail to see how the latter pronunciations disqualify it as a word.
Certainly they make more obvious sense than what happens to the
prounuciation when you tack an "s" onto the beginning of "laughter".

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML               mouse () rodents montreal qc ca