funsec mailing list archives

Account Hijackings Force LiveJournal Changes

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 18:11:15 GMT

Anyone else heard any additional deatils on this one?

Brian Krebs:

[snip]

LiveJournal, an online community that boasts nearly 2 million active members, on Thursday announced sitewide changes
for users logging into their accounts -- changes prompted by a hacker group's successful hijacking of potentially
hundreds of thousands of user accounts.

In an alert posted to its user forum, LiveJournal said it was instituting new login procedures for users because
"recent changes to a popular browser have enabled malicious users to potentially gain control of your account." Company
officials could not be immediately reached for comment. I also put in a query to Six Apart, which owns LiveJournal (and
the service we use to produce this blog), but have yet to hear from them either.

An established hacker group known as "Bantown" (I would not recommend visiting their site at work) claimed
responsibility for the break-in, which it said was made possible due to a series of Javascript security flaws in the
LiveJournal site.

[snip]

More here:
http://blogs.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2006/01/account_hijacki.html

- ferg

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net