funsec mailing list archives

Re: FCC v Mom

From: Dude VanWinkle <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 20:13:53 -0700

On 11/12/05, Florian Weimer <fw () deneb enyo de> wrote:
* Larry Seltzer:

I'll admit I hadn't heard that it was reporting this data, but do you
actually think companies are going to log it and maintain the data? Doesn't
seem like they'd normally have any reason to do that.

I was just surprised to find out that not only do they log your
locations (and maybe conversations) but they have been doing so for no
less then Seven Years. And I didn't even know about it till yesterday!

Sorry guys, Back to the School of Hard Knocks for me (already got my
undergrad there, going back for my masters :-)

Thanks for the Info, and Let me know if anyone knows a way to disable
this functionality and still remain connected to GSM/CDMA/Etc
networks. My Momz is going to contact the EFF to see if they have a
class action that she can join (hey they at least owe her 50 bucks for
a new cell phone right?).

I spoke with the Democratic side of the FCC back when Michael Powell
was chairman, and they said that no matter what they decide, its
really the resulting lawsuits that cement the legislation, not their
initial decree. I am sure that someone has already instigated a
lawsuit ( if anyone knows of one lemme know), but just in case cause
if no one sez anything then the FCC can get away with a LOT.

It is interesting to note that they could have implemented the
requirement for cell and PSTN providers to pass data for 911 through
all nodes without the GPS, but apparently 1 Mile isn't good enough and
100 meters is the accepted trace area.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-e911.htm

-JP
"If its for protection of the general public, how come only those
living above the poverty line have access"