funsec mailing list archives

Re: UK: Commercial Keylogger Challenges Anti-Spyware Vendor Sunbelt

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 16:40:48 +1300

Fergie wrote:

RetroCoder Ltd. has threatened legal action against Sunbelt Software for
listing the U.K. company's commercial keystroke-logging application in its
anti-spyware database, reflecting the growing animosity between some
software makers and security vendors.
<<snip>>

Little new there -- I forget the company's name, but whoever took over
the commercial (shareware??) distribution of NetBus 2.0(and any later
versions) had the same beef with the big (at least) US AV developers.
This (amongst other similar situations) is what prompted NAI/McAfee to
add the "possibly unwanted program" classification to their scanner and
the detection of things because they were "misnamed and/or misplaced"
(basically "not installed in the default directory and/or with the
default filename for the .EXE).

That was sometime back when I was working in the UK -- 97-99-ish, or
_just_ after I left the UK...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald